[WikiEN-l] Lists which are sheer nonsense

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Feb 28 13:58:02 UTC 2003

Sean,

I agree that the entire issue is nonsense, but maybe
not in the way you meant it.

Granted that Pierre Trudeau, being a well-know Canadian,
is unlikely to be confused with a US citizen.

But the [[List of Americans]] article seems designed
to provoke controversy, to stir up a fuss and to pro-
vide entertainment for those who want to have some-
thing to wrangle about. Remember all the fun that was
had with [[List of famous Canadians]]?

I'm NOT going to discuss it on the talk page, and I'm
not going to get involved with the article: I think
it's stupid and useless. I don't see what legitimate
purpose it serves.

Sure, I'm proud of America (i.e., the United States)
and proud to be a natural-born citizen of it. But what
the heck do we need a list for? I mean, what would any-
one *do* with such a list?

Okay, if someone wants to start creating lists like
the following, I guess I won't mind :-)
* [[List of US citizens]]
* [[List of citizens of South Korea]]
* [[List of Mexican restaurants in Los Angeles]]
* [[List of Latin American singers]]

But please let's not waste any more time with contro-
versy magnets.

Uncle Ed, aka Ed Poor