[WikiEN-l] Re: silent bans

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 20:29:24 UTC 2003

elian wrote:
>Hello,
>
>there is usually so much fuzz about banning
>certain users, weeks of tedious discussions,
>scrupulous arguments if someone like Lir should
>be really banned or if he/she could learn to
>work cooperatively in the end...

>First question: I seem to have missed this
>debate (the user has written under IPs starting
>with 142.177.) Could someone direct me to some
>links in the archive?

This person has been determined to be 24 beyond a
reasonable doubt. 24 was banned for making a threat to
Larry and 24 under the new IP made a death threat to
me and the rest of the "cabal."

>Third question: I can't reproduce the first
>reason for the ban:
>* 08:12 Jan 13, 2003, Maveric149 blocked
>142.177.97.215 (contribs) (racial insult at
>Talk:Space Shuttle Columbia: "(On [[January 12]],
>[[1986]] Columbia took-off with the first
>[[Hispanic-American]] astronaut, Dr. [[Franklin
>R. Chang-Diaz]].) " Well, that explains where the
>Challenger's O-ring went... <-- ;-D")
>
>In the history of [[Talk:Space Shuttle Columbia]]
>I can find no edits by this IP. Could someone
>explain the story of this ban?

There is no history for it because I deleted the talk
page. If you like I can restore the talk page. The
ban, BTW, was for the stated major violation of
Wikipetiquette and was only supposed to be temporary
but this user later left a death threat on my meta
talk page so the ban was never lifted. The problem is
that this user keeps getting new IPs. Thus another
Wikipedian got sick and tired of dealing with
142.177's edits when 142.177 shouldn't be editing at
all.

>And my fourth and last question: Why the hell do
>you ban users who write articles like this:
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asharites ???

Violations of Wikipetiquette and making death threats.
DW also created a lot of valid content - but was
banned for violating Wikipetiquette.

>Okay, okay...one prefers to let other, more
>knowledgeable people write about Islam.
>These people do also behave very civilly.

Hardly.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma:
My usual updates at [[February 20]]