[WikiEN-l] Cultivating your outrage

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Feb 27 13:52:06 UTC 2003

People are looking for things to become outraged about.

You hold open a door for someone, and they're like, "What, do you think I'm too old to open a door?" Or, "Well! That ladies first nonsense went *out* decades ago, you chauvinist p*****"

Calling a game 'soccer' or 'football' will get you punch in the mouth in certain European pubs.

People will fight to the death over the name of a river; or a "nation" like Quebec; or everyone's favorite: "Judea and Samaria" vs. "occupied Palestinian territories".

Now we will all have to take a few days off to argue about who an "American" is:

* North America = Canada, US, Mexico, Central America + Caribbean Islands
* South America = Columbia and all those other countries south of the Panama Canal

BUT:

* norteamericano = US + Canada
* Latin America = Mexico and all countries south of it

I no longer have time for such games; I have more important crops to plant. If anyone wants to use Wikipedia to cultivate their outrage, go ahead and do it but don't expect me to get excited about it.

Uncle Ed, aka Ed Poor