[WikiEN-l] River names Oder/Odra and Neisse/Nysa

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Wed Feb 19 03:41:15 UTC 2003

The Oder-Niesse line is very well known by that name in the United
States.  Of course, what it is known for is marking the border between
Poland and Germany, established as such at the end of World War II, so
it is natural that Polish people are sensitive about it.  Nonetheless,
it is not known as the Odra-Nysa line.

Tom Parmenter

|From: Mirko Thiessen <mt at mirko-thiessen.de>
|Sender: wikien-l-admin at wikipedia.org
|Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:15:34 +0100
|
|Hello all,
|

|there is a dispute in several articles, whether the Oder/Odra river
|should be called by its German or its Polish name. The same for the
|Neisse/Nysa river and the Oder-Neisse line/Odra-Nysa line. I'd like
|to ask the community, which name is used more often by native English
|speakers. There are some annoying accusations in this dispute (see
|[[User talk:Taw|Taw's talk page]] for more details), so I would like
|to let the majority decide and end the seesaw changes on the relating
|pages.
|

|Mirko.

|--