[WikiEN-l] The MIT vandal is back

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 21:20:52 UTC 2003

But is anorexia a female-constant in all cultures?  Is it even as prevalent in Europe as it is in the US?
Zoe
 Tom Parmenter <tompar at world.std.com> wrote:|From: Jonathan Walther
|Sender: wikien-l-admin at wikipedia.org
|Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:21:25 -0800

|--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

|On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:32:27PM -0800, Zoe wrote:
|> It's the exact same wording as the text inserted by the MIT vandal. I
|> asked the person inserting it to give us some information to prove the
|> assertion, and I asked if it was true for the entire world, or only
|> certain cultures. The person declined to do so.
|
|The information is not misogynistic, it is true. Labelling this person
|a vandal does a disservice to the Wikipedia. The traditional treatment
|in the West for hysteria was for the doctor to massage a womans genitals
|by hand until she got some relief. The most extreme forms of hysteria
|are not seen very much in modern times; some attribute this to a greater
|interest in giving sexual satisfaction to women. The milder forms of
|hysteria still abound; if males have a propensity for hysteria, it is
|socialized out of them at a very young age.
|
|Jonathan

A misogynist, but not a vandal. Anorexia, bulimia, borderline
personality disorder,, and histrionic personality disorder are
generally more common in women, according to my wife, the
psychotherapist.

She adds, however, that hysteria is the NPOV ringer here, being a 19th
century diagnosis that is no longer used (nor is the treatment
mentioned above). Even in the 19th, men were diagnosed with it, but
not given the analogous treatment.

More common in men than women: anti-social personality disorder. The
prisons are full of them, she says. Also, most psychopaths and
sociopaths are men.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88