[WikiEN-l] Asimov-still POV

Bridget Bridget
Thu Feb 13 01:30:46 UTC 2003

Asimov began contributing stories to science fiction magazines in 1939; his short story "Nightfall" (1941) is described in Bewildering Stories, issue 8, as one of "the most famous science-fiction stories of all time" [1], and is thought by many to be the finest science fiction short story ever written.

The article currently reads as above, the latter part "and is thought by many to be the finest science fiction short story ever written." needs to either be removed or credited to some source. We can all think of several science-fiction stories which instantly qualify for "and is thought by many to be the finest science fiction short story ever written" My personal vote would be for "Cold Equations" and Im sure "many" agree with me that Cold Equations is the best science-fiction short story ever written. Im sure many feel that "You See But Do Not Observe" is the best science-fiction short story, as Im sure many feel that something by Stephen King might qualify. Perhaps it was Ray Bradbury that wrote the best science fiction short story, or was it Jules Verne or perhaps MaryJanice Davidson or Raylan Conley??

The article remains POV as it contains a POV statement which has been given no source. In the Erwin Rommel article I could say, "Erwin Rommel is considered to be the greatest general ever". So are Mannstein, Patton, Caeasar, Napoleon, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Montgomery, etc etc etc. The earlier version was even more POV:

Asimov began contributing stories to science fiction magazines in 1939; his most famous single story is "Nightfall" (1941).

Is not, "Bewildering Stories, issue 8" enough? Do we need to say, "Not only does Bewildering Stories issue 8 argue that Nightfall is ONE of the greatest, but be assured, by wikipedia and our ardent NPOV, that Nightfall is considered by many to actually be THE greatest science fiction short story EVER.