[WikiEN-l] Re: Zoe becoming a sysop

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Tue Feb 11 13:58:30 UTC 2003

At 12:48 AM 2/11/03 -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>Jonathan Walther wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:56:09PM -0500, daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>   Zoe is one of the finest contributors Wikipedia has.
>>>   Besides, being a sysop is not some remarkable surge of power. It simply
>>>   makes it easier to revert vandalism. It is pretty obvious to me that Zoe
>>>   would not abuse any additional editorial powers she gets.
>>>
>>>   I suggest that we ask Zoe to reconsider and become a sysop.
>>

>>I second that motion and agree with what Danny has said.  Zoe, please accept
>>the position of sysop, and please take on the role of mentor to Lir.
>>If he
>>acts up in the next 3 months, act in as draconian a manner as you feel is
>>warranted.  We need someone to encourage community standards; I think you
>>would do that admirably.
>
>I want it on record that I have no objection to Zoe as a sysop.  I'm sure
>that if she ever chose to exceed her authority, there would be enough
>others to complain.  Our Mister Ed has experienced that in the past, and
>he is still alive and well.
>
>For the mentorship to work both Zoe and Lir would need to agree to that
>solution.

I agree.

If I were Zoe--having reluctantly asked for this, and found that people
wanted to saddle
me with the task of mentoring someone I distrusted--I wouldn't want it either.

If we agree that Lir should be invited back (I don't, but I'm not the final
voice here)
subject to mentorship, the mentor should be a volunteer.

--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org
http://www.redbird.org