[WikiEN-l] Re: SERIOUS HELP NEEDED NOW!

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 19:12:11 UTC 2003

On Monday 10 February 2003 08:15 am, Andrew Smith wrote:
> The MIT vandal might be discouraged from repeating his antics if someone
> complains to MIT about him. While we don't explicitly know who it was, it
> seems from what I've read that we know what IP addresses he was using at
> specific times so if MIT keep track of this then they will know who he is.
> Pointing out to them that if actions like these are repeated then wikipedia
> may be forced to block ranges of MITs IP addresses which would adversely
> affect their students as this is a useful educational resource etc might
> spur them into action.
>
> While I wouldn't like to see anything serious happen to him a warning about
> his future conduct regarding university network facilities (which
> universities seem quite keen to give) might encourage him not to repeat his
> actions.
>
> Just an idea..
>
> Andrew

Hm. Has anybody on this list written such a letter before? If so, it would be
useful to edit out the specifics in that letter and create a boilerplate
template for Admins to use when contacting the abuse departments of ISPs.

Aside: Just so everybody knows we already have a boilerplate template "request
for permission" that several people have used to ask outside authors to allow
us to use their work under terms of the GFDL.  See
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Boilerplate_request_for_permission

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma:
Added a bunch of events to [[February 5]]; updated all the year pages and many
of the other articles linked from that page.