[WikiEN-l] Re: SERIOUS HELP NEEDED NOW!

Andrew Smith ams80 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 12:32:39 UTC 2003

The MIT vandal might be discouraged from repeating his antics if someone
complains to MIT about him. While we don't explicitly know who it was, it
seems from what I've read that we know what IP addresses he was using at
specific times so if MIT keep track of this then they will know who he is.
Pointing out to them that if actions like these are repeated then wikipedia
may be forced to block ranges of MITs IP addresses which would adversely
affect their students as this is a useful educational resource etc might
spur them into action.

While I wouldn't like to see anything serious happen to him a warning about
his future conduct regarding university network facilities (which
universities seem quite keen to give) might encourage him not to repeat his
actions.

Just an idea..

Andrew