[WikiEN-l] The Lir situation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Feb 10 11:57:21 UTC 2003

Zoe wrote:
> If you let Lir back, I'd like to be a sysop.  I've avoided asking
>for the authority before, even though some people have encouraged me
>to do it.

As a side note, unrelated to Lir, I think it is unfortunate that
people have come to the idea that being a sysop is a big enough deal
that it's the sort of thing that one might want to avoid asking for.

Sysop is supposed to be just a technical matter.  The sysop is given
powers that are limited in nature, to be used solely to combat simple
vandals and to execute some commands that are a bit complex and hard
to reverse.

I see that there's a lot of discussion about Zoe's comments here, so I
won't weigh in until I've read all of that.

--Jimbo