[WikiEN-l] Naming convention: popularity vs. correctness

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 06:14:07 UTC 2003

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> I think we need to change our naming convention to use the more
correct
> article title if everybody who knows the history of the term in
question
> agrees that it is correct; that is, if everybody who has a coherent
POV on the matter shares the same opinion. In other words, we should
use
> academically correct titles, not those which Google prefers.

I agree. Two reasons:

* The text of our articles always aims for correctness as recognized by
those who know what they're talking about, not for "correctness" as
recognized by the majority of the people. The same should apply to
article titles.

* We're here to educate, not to provide people with the warm and fuzzy
feeling that comes from reading something familiar. For retaining
memory, there's nothing better than a healthy shock. You follow a link
to X and end up on page Y, how is that possible? Shock! Confusion!
Immediately you investigate and the article gives the answer, right
there in the second paragraph. You're not going to forget that one
easily.

Axel