[WikiEN-l] Naming convention: popularity vs. correctness

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 03:14:53 UTC 2003

Nastiness doesn't get you anywhere, Clutch.  A quick Google search found http://druidry.org/obod/druid-path/celts_saxons.html which said, in part, "The ancient Germans and Celts had many things in common so culturally it might be more correct to group them all together as Northwest Europeans rather than separate them politically".  How much research have you done on the issue?  Germanii were only one tribe, anyway, weren't they?
Zoe
 Jonathan Walther <krooger at debian.org> wrote:On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 08:38:54PM -0500, Tom Parmenter wrote:

>Of course, "German" is no more Deutsch (or Dietsch) than "Dutch" is.
>"Dutch" is at least cognate with what they call themselves in their
>own language, whereas "German" is is a Celtic name that has never been
>used by any of the many Teutonic peoples.

According to Tacitus, 2000 years ago they were calling themselves
something cognate with "Germanii", which was the Roman word for them.
How did German suddenly become a "Celtic" word? What research can you
show to back up that assertion? How can I trust other information you
add to Wikipedia articles if it has a similar amount of research behind
it?

Jonathan

--
Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone: 604-435-1205
Email: djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2