[WikiEN-l] The Lir situation

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Feb 9 02:50:00 UTC 2003

>> I suggest that Zoe can be Lir's mentor; if Lir ignores Zoe, then only he
>> is to blame for whatever action she uses her sysop powers for to deal
>> with him.  Not only is it poetic justice, but I feel Lir has progressed
>> enough that spending time deliberately trying not to piss off Zoe would
>> complete the polish on his Wiki-indoctrination and make him the valued
>> contributor we all know he is capable of being.

> I can't decide whether Jonathan is showing Gandhi-esque genius for the
> resolution of a tough problem, or being the matchmaker for a romance
> from hell.  They'd have to talk together.

The whole idea of a mentor system (which I proposed) rests on the fact
that the person being mentored acknowledges the mentor as someone they
respect, not that the "mentor" can punish the "pupil" to "complete the
polish on his Wiki-indoctrination" (Clutch's words - the same Clutch who
repeatedly vandalized Lir's user page to instill "good taste" into her).

Aside from that, this goes far beyond the purposes for which sysop powers
are intended and moves us away from a wiki-community to one ruled by
editorial police forces who can reign arbitrarily with no process of
appeal, much like Everything2.

One thing is clear: There are more grounds to ban Clutch, based on his
past behavior, than to ban Lir.

Regards,

Erik