[WikiEN-l] Re: User:MyPasswordIsHELLO

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 19:16:17 UTC 2003

>It is a little weird, but we can easily adjust to
>it.  If someone starts using that account to do
>naughty things, we will just ban
>the account.  If someone keeps doing this, we'll have
>to deal with
>it when it comes up.
>
>Historically speaking, we haven't had a lot of
>trouble with people
>trying to subvert the system.
>
>--Jimbo

I don't think that it is a good idea to allow this
because it becomes impossible to track who is doing
what if multiple different people are using the same
user name at the same time. I know this also happens
due to cheap-ass ISPs who use proxies but it is
relatively rare that two people from the same IP edit
at the same time. They also don't have a real choice
in the matter.

Being a logged-in user has many benefits - but it also
has added accountability. This is subverted by having
a full-featured 'guest account.'

-- mav

PS I just checked and some evil person has changed the
password to something other than "hello" or "HELLO."
But there still is a policy issue here to keep in
mind.

WikiKarma:
I created the images that are now in [[crystal
structure]] http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_structure