[WikiEN-l] Isis' threats

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 3 17:20:14 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>>Isis is really starting to rattle me.
>>She is now saying she's going to sue me in Delaware, whether I show up
>>to defend myself or not. -
>>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk%3AJimbo_Wales
>>
>>I know that she doesn't have a leg to stand on, but still, this is not
>>fun.
>>This goes against our collegiate spirit as much as TMC's username did.
>>Doesn't Wikipedia have a policy on making threats?
>>

>Can someone with a legal background explain what happens if Tarquin does not
>appear in a Delaware court? Is a "default judgment" then likely?

Although I believe that Isis should be reprimanded for her lawyer tactic
of intimidation with idle threats, this is not yet at the point where
withdrawal of sysop privileges should be withdrawn.  I saw her original
posting before it reached this point, and although she denies that it
was her intent, it's easy to see how Tarquin could have interpreted her
as saying that all photographs were copyright exempt.

I don't doubt that she could get a default judgement in Delaware.  I
believe that Delaware is considered a soft touch by juristdiction
shoppers because of this.  Whether that judgement can be enforced
outside of Delaware is an other matter.  Since Tarquin is in England, if
Isis thinks she has a valid case it should be filed in England.  That
would be the honourable thing to do.  If I were the one being victimized
by these threats, I would ignore Delaware jurisdiction.

Eclecticology