[WikiEN-l] Our own extreme POV sometimes makes it impossible for us to write NPOV prose

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 15:46:25 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 February 2003 04:00 am, Clutch wrote:
> I have no religious or ideological motivation for saying this, but I too
> have read both sides of the story and agree with Ed the global warming
> as an unprecedented and imminent disaster seems like a grand hoax.

With friends like you Ed doesn't need enemies:

Well Clutch you also think there is a grand conspiracy with the US government
poisoning the American people by adding fluoride to their drinking water. And
on top of that you think that the Apollo Moon landings were a hoax. In
addition there doesn't seem to be an anti-Semite you didn't like (thinking of
the considerable work you have done to absolutely minimize that aspect of
Richard Wagner and now Henry Ford). Oh and your work on [[Jehovah's
Witnesses]] and daughter articles is Witness-friendly enough for publication
in WatchTower. So IMO your above words carry very little weight - at least
for me.

With that said, I do think that Ed's POV in regards to global warming and the
Unification Church is too great for him to make substantial changes to those
articles without unintentionally violating NPOV. For example, I know my POV
on homosexuality is too great to make any changes greater than adding or
modifying a paragraph in the homosexuality-related articles.

Some issues are simply hot buttons for people and for the sake of NPOV we
should voluntarily not make substantive changes to those articles (otherwise
we unconsciously give our POV too much weight in articles).  Of course there
are rare people like Montrealais who in spite of his strong POV on gay issues
is able to make what is IMO NPOV contributions in that area.

We should all understand that the ability to 'write for the enemy' is
difficult and that trying to write for your mortal enemy whom you absolutely
despise is very difficult and impossible to do correctly for most people.

--mav

WikiKarma:
Added more events to [[January 29]] and updated all the year pages and many
other articles linked from that page.