[WikiEN-l] Re: Challenge to Sheldon Rampton re: global warming

rednblack at alum.mit.edu rednblack at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 1 15:48:46 UTC 2003

Actually, anthropogenic warming is NOT a fact, it is only a theory, and not a
very well-established one at that. The IPCC studies get a lot of play, but they
are by no means definitive, and the models used to demonstrate the point are by
no means perfect. Global warming is well-established, other claims to the
contrary, and few people studying this dispute that significant warming is
actually happening. However, there are pretty significant weaknesses in the
models that predict warming from anthropogenic sources, like their failure to
accurately predict warming rates. There's a case to be made that anthropogenic
sources of warming are important, but I wouldn't call it a "fact" yet, like I
would say that something like relativity or Coulomb's law is a "fact".

Anyway, this is getting way off-topic for this mailing list and belongs on
[[Talk:Global warming]], where it can actually do some good.

Saurabh (Graft)

------
"It doesn't matter what government the country has.  The power is held by those
 who own and control medias." -- Ahmed Rami