[WikiEN-l] partisan wrangling on wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Feb 1 05:52:47 UTC 2003

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:

>When I think of wikipedia, somehow I'm reminded of the [[Milgram
>experiment]]--except the seats are really wired.  Currently I would
>not recommend anyone join wikipedia, unless the person knows of some
>obscure Russian filmmaker to write about or some photographic
>technique which calls for dry unemotional writing.  Something about
>the culture here is just *wrong*; it calls to people who itch to have
>a buzzer in hand, and those of us lucky enough not to be on the
>receiving end are still uncomfortable watching the spectacle.
>
>Why are you here?  Are any of you trying to change another person's
>opinion?  If you are, you belong on Usenet, and best of luck.

Regretably, you make a good point.  I'm sure that Wikepedia too has its
expected 61% of otherwise good people who will always push the button
when told to do it. Sometimes people just want to be told what to do
even while they're voicing support for some kind of democracy.  They
become so afraid to offend that they no longer trust their.  They're
perfect soldiers -- perfect cannon fodder.  When they defend an opinion
it's with the ardour of a my-country-right-or-wrong patriot.

Eclecticology