[WikiEN-l] Challenge to Sheldon Rampton re: global warming

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Feb 1 00:37:00 UTC 2003

> Hey, speaking of disingenuous answers, how about applying the NPOV to the
> [[global warming]] article? Are you able to step back from your advocacy and
> be neutral for a few minutes, and help us make a balanced article there?

Ed, why this personal attack ("speaking of disingenuous answers"), and why
on the mailing list? "Step back from your advocacy" - which advocacy?
Sheldon has not made a single edit to the global warming article. His last
major contribution is from a week ago and unrelated. Since Sheldon joined
the project, you have repeatedly attacked him, also on Talk pages. Are you
afraid that there's someone who actually sees through the global warming
spin and trying to drive him away?

You have made plenty of dubious edits to the global warming articles. For
example, you recently replaced the intro with

* * *
"The belief that global warming is caused chiefly by emissions of [[carbon
dioxide]] and other other '[[greenhouse gas]]es' is promoted by
environmentalist organizations and supported by most Western journalists.

"The proportion of scientists who support or oppose any of the various
global warming theories is a matter of controversy in its own right.
Environmentalists and their allies claim virtually unanamious support for
the global warming theory from the scientific community. Opponents
maintain that it's the other way around, claiming that the overwhelming
majority of scientists either dismiss global warming altogether or merely
consider it "unproven" (see [[global warming scepticism]]). "
* * *

I have asked you for a reference especially for the last sentence, and the
placement of the "promoted by enviros and journos" part as second
paragraph of the article was clearly not NPOV. You have rarely defended
your edits at all, and not provided references. On the Talk page of
[[Global warming]] some people now almost refuse to talk to you at all
because of your past edits.

You usually do a good job at maintaining NPOV and a professional attitude.
Why does it seem to fall apart with this issue? Is it because your beloved
Unification Church is so heavily promoting the idea that global warming is
a myth over the church-owned Washington Times and the SEPP PR group /
"think tank" and its leading pseudoscientist Fred Singer? Are you, pehaps,
complying with "higher orders"?

Regards,

Erik