[WikiEN-l] Re: Sysop limits

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 12:31:10 UTC 2003

John R. Owens wrote:
> I just wanted to check, if somewhat belatedly, that this wouldn't be
> considered an abuse of sysop abilities, if I protect one of my own
> subpages. Taken strictly, it would break the rules, but I don't think it
> would break the spirit of them at all.

Hm. Why would you want to do that? I guess it wouldn't be abuse, but odd.

> Also, while I'm at it, I wasn't sure about an edit I did earlier on
> [[Johnny Rebel]] while it was protected. It was just a simple typo
> correction, "Moustrap" -> "Mousetrap". Is that kind of controversy-free
> thing OK while it's protected, or should it be completely avoided to
> prevent even the appearance of possible abuse? I just can't stand seeing
> misspellings left alone, though. :(

Some people jump all over any appearance of abuse (as a few users did after
they saw a few Admins edit the page while it was protected). So yes it is not
a great idea to edit a page at all when it has been protected to stop an edit
war.

> Side note: It's so bad, since I started doing Wikipedia fairly regularly,
> I find myself frequently looking for an "Edit this page" link while I'm on
> other, non-wiki sites and I see an error. ;)

What? There is an Internet outside of Wikipedia? :-)

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)