[WikiEN-l] Re: known experts (was re: Larry's text)

koyaanis qatsi obchodnakorze at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 17:06:14 UTC 2003

Rotem writes:
> 4. Encyclopedic article should cite and base the
> ideas and concepts presented, preferably by
> reference to known experts in the field (In this
> case World-recognized philosophers)

As an aside, I'm still excited and surprised to find
topics wikipedia hasn't yet covered.  I just wrote a
brief stub on [[ephemeral film]] a few days ago--a
very new field of study.  Before 1982, when Rick
Prelinger began to collect the films, they were almost
universally mocked and dismissed.  But, in Prelinger's
view, these films--industrial, social guidance, driver
safety, drug prevention films etc.--all serve as
unintentional documentaries of the social environment
of the time and place they were made.

I bring this up because sometimes the known experts in
a field are very few indeed.  In this case, it's both
fun & daunting to start an article on the subject and
hope to cover it accurately and fairly.  On the one
hand, it's nice to know (and feel a bit smug) that it
will be years, perhaps decades, before Britannica
covers what you've just written about.  And, on the
other hand, I'm sure Britannica has an article on
[[D.A. Pennebaker]].

kq