[WikiEN-l] New additions to the guidelines/policies (was:Larry's text on the "Knowledge" article)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Apr 18 15:58:12 UTC 2003

Rotem Dan wrote:
> Ok then, now that jimmy agrees with this points (and
> supposedly everyone), I will present what refinements
> I'm adding to the policies and guidelines:

?  Pretty much everything you've said is perfectly consistent with
existing policies and guidelines, as far as I know.  So I don't think
you're updating those.

> > 2. Creating a wiki that tries to form a consensus regarding the
> > matter itself (by addressing the matter directly, not the
> > different views and historical timeline) is an impossible task.

> Not really explained well in the rules, (AFAIK), I
> will add this.

Be careful.  Rather than phrase this as a rule, it should be phrased
as a suggested route to achieve NPOV.  Achieving NPOV on
matters-in-themselves is often more difficult than achieving NPOV on
what-has-been-said-about-matters-in-themselves.

But this is not a new technique, we have long called it "going meta".

--Jimbo