[WikiEN-l] JoanB is DW

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Apr 17 12:15:40 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) Allow sysops to check the IP of new* contributors
> 2) Allow sysops to block new* contributors by IP/name
> 3) Have IP blocks expire after a definable amount of time
> 4) Use an additional cookie-based "soft blocking" mechanism that should
> fool the technically challenged
> 5) In order to increase sysop accountability, log all sysop actions
>in the  recent_changes (e.g. user:foo banned, page xyz protected)

I support all of these very strongly.

Cunc raises the potentially valid concern that we can't win in an
"arms race" against vandals.  And it's of course true that we can't
eliminate all vandalism and usher in an age of infinite WikiLove.

What we can do, though, is _reduce the cost_ to us while _increasing
the cost_ to them.  "Cost" here primarily means "time".

--Jimbo