[WikiEN-l] countryguide

sannse sannse at delphiforums.com
Tue Apr 15 16:36:38 UTC 2003

Bob Jordan wrote:

> Sannse,
>
> In your email to other wikipedia monitors/admins, I would appreciate a
note
> that CountryGuide provides a full reciprocal deep-link back to the
> appropriate country.  And, while I understand that you may not think they
> are useful (no offense taken -I understand the issue of spamming a
> directory), the general public seems to think otherwise.  CountryGuide is
> being developed along the same lines as StateGuide which (surprisingly to
> me, too) is receiving good reviews as a reference utility.  See:
>
> http://www.stateguide.com/info/workhorse.htm

Yes, I acknowledge that CountryGuide links back to Wikipedia.  I'm not sure
that that makes the links any more useful or relevant, although it's nice to
see.

This isn't something I feel very strongly about (although other users appear
to feel more so, the links have been removed).  I agree directory sites are
useful, but I'm not sure that they are useful as part of Wikipedia.  If a
link is particulary relevant to an article it should, I think, be linked to
directly - not via CountryGuide or similar.

But, as I say, I don't feel very strongly about this either way.

Regards,

sannse