[WikiEN-l] Auto-revert (was: Susan Mason)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Apr 14 13:38:15 UTC 2003

I don't think anyone should be on auto-revert, with one exception.

Because:
* Auto-revert can lose good changes, along with the bad.
* Auto-revert provides no possibility for contributor improvement.
* Auto-revert is just plain mean.

Exception:
* Someone who signs in and then starts doing
  precisely what would get an 'IP user' banned

But even the lone exception is an emergency measure, until the sysop can contact a Developer (I'm thinking of mav and the 'MIT vandal').

If someone keeps breaking the rules, we need to give them a period of banning (what in my Uncle Ed incarnation I would call a "time out"). After the period expires, they can apologize suitably and resume as if nothing had ever happened (except people might watch them a bit more closely).

I'm pretty sure a temporary ban, such as I just described, is in accordance with Jimbo's policy.

Ed Poor