[WikiEN-l] Annoying Exchange with Another Contributor

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Apr 13 01:54:15 UTC 2003

Not every person who acts like a jerk on Wikipedia is like
Lir/Vera Cruz/Susan Mason -- thank God -- but sometimes a
valuable contributor can start down that dark road without
thinking.

I'd like to direct the more senior, respected people on this
list to the discussion that I have been involved in on the
[[Wikipedia talk:Timeline standards]] page. Egil & I have
had a difference of opinions on how to handle various annual
entries prior to AD 1 that are too small.

There are a lot of points to this discussion, but the one
that has made me angry is that when told by the ``let's restore
the annual entries back to 2000 BC" group (well, pair -- Stan &
I) that 550 BC is not a good cut-off date to drop annual entries,
Egil's response was ``On basis of criticism that 550 BC is a
somewhat odd year, I've changed the cutoff to 500 BC."

I was at the point of dropping the whole discussion -- & probably
would have had he accepted a cutoff of 600 BC -- but I feel
Egil has acted with a certain lack of graciousness. (And yes,
I am using understatement here for effect.)

So would one of the more senior, respected people on this list
that I am petitioning look over our disagreement & either:

a) explain offline to Egil how he behaved in a less than
courteous manner; or

b) tell me offline to get a life.

In the best of all worlds, I would like to win my argument, have
annual entries back to 2000 BC -- even if they don't have content
at the moment -- & see George Bush impeached. I doubt I'll see
any of that actually happen, so I'm willing to settle with someone
talking Egil & hopefully convincing him to move this cutoff back
to 600 BC.

No further discussion on the mailling list is needed, but if I
could get an email offline from someone that she/he is looking
into it, I'll be happy.

Geoff