[WikiEN-l] In defense of non-monotheistic religions

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Apr 10 20:05:47 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>It really amounts to a defense of non-monotheistic religions, against the accusation of "idolatry" from the monotheistic religions. As such, the article really requires a thorough rewrite.
>
>The article is not describing what "idolatry" is, let alone distinguishing facets such as "idol worship" or "polytheism". It's just saying, in effect, "You guys condemn us, but you don't even know what you're talking about. So there!"
>
>But the problem is not the personalities of the contributors, in this case. It's the focus of the whole article. Or, should I say the lack of focus.
>
>We need to identify just what it is, that the ancient verses condemned. We can report on the reasons various rabbis and priests have given over the centuries for this condemnation. We can even mention any relaxation of these prohibitions.
>
>Also, and most importantly, we need to distinguish clearly between:
>* what Jews and other monotheists condemn
>* what polytheists and the like say they are "really doing"
>
>Until we clarify these issues, the article will go nowhere because everyone is arguing at cross purposes.

I think I agree, especially on the matter of focus..I read through some
of the article, and easily decided that my time would be better spent on
something else.  Beginning the article with a simple definition of what
the word "idolatry" means would be a good start.

The other big problem with the article is that it has hopelessly muddled
two entirely different topics, idolatry and polytheism.  Both practices
are clearly condemned by the Abrahamic line of religions, but that is
not not enough to make them the same thing.  An idolater who worships
only a single idol is still monotheistic.  The article would benefit
greatly of all the mono-/poly-theism discussion were moved to another
article.

Eclecticology