[WikiEN-l] Odd article?

John R. Owens jowens.wiki at ghiapet.homeip.net
Wed Apr 9 00:36:51 UTC 2003

	Something really strange is happening when I try to look at the
article [[Laurent]] which was recently created. It crashes my browser
(Galeon 1.2.9/Mozilla 1.3) whenever I try to look at it. I did a database
query on it before the last crash, it's number 207611 I think (from
memory), and the text in it looks normal. But when I try to get it, both
Galeon and raw Mozilla crash, in different ways -- Galeon freezes up, not
using clock cycles meanwhile; Mozilla dies instantly. On the other hand,
it seems to work just fine in Lynx (I tried to wget it, but that didn't
work, but neither does anything else; I'm guessing Wikipedia filters on
HTTP-client to prevent excessive slurping?) Looking at the source now that
I've got it, the only thing that seem at all irregular about the contents
(the HTML, not the Wikicode) is that it's all in <pre> tags. (Disclaimer:
I haven't looked at HTML source of Wikipages before, so I'm not entirely
certain what would be irregular.)

	So, anybody have any idea why this would be, whether it's an issue
with Wikipedia or my browser (well, obviously it's at least in part my
browser, since Lynx works fine, but it's not doing everything Galeon tries
to do), and what we can do about it either way?

	If you want to see the source I'm looking at, send me an email at
my own address and I'll attach a copy to you; don't want to clog up the
list with that.

P.S. to list moderator(s): Ignore first submission of this, I forgot to
set my From: email address appropriately.

--
John R. Owens http://www.ghiapet.homeip.net/
It's easy to find something worth dying for.  Do you have anything worth