[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia privacy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Apr 3 19:43:21 UTC 2003

The scenario, which already happened once, is that a hostile person
decides to make dozens of vandal-edits while logged in.  In an
emergency like that, sysops can (physically) ban the login id, but the
bad person just keeps logging in with different ids.

That's what we want to be better able to defend against.

If there's a way we could do that, without giving sysops the ability
to see ip numbers, that'd be good.  I think in most cases, ip number
bans will take care of this, since it's a bit more effort for the
vandal to get a new ip number.  It will effectively slow them down, at
least.

--Jimbo