[WikiEN-l] Re: 208.63.114.185

John R. Owens jowens.wiki at ghiapet.homeip.net
Thu Apr 3 02:06:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Toby Bartels wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:51:05 -0800
> From: Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu>
> To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Re: 208.63.114.185
>
> John Knouse wrote:
>
> >User 208.63.114.185 just extensively vandalized the "white
> >oak" page and I just reverted it.  He not only vandalized it
> >once, but four successive times.  This user is obviously a
> >malicious jerk, and I strongly suggest banning him.
>
> I was checking this out, and it occured to me that a neat feature would be:
>
> A user contribs page, at least when being viewed by an admin (maybe anybody),
> could indicate "This [username|IP address] has been blocked.",
> so that I don't have to load the IP blocklist to see if it has been.
>
> BTW, I didn't block this IP since it seems to have been
> inactive for several hours.  But *persistence* in this behaviour
> would make it a clear candidate for blocking as a vandal if it returns.
>
> Ah yes, the other thing that we need on user contribs pages
> is diff links next to each cited change.

The other other thing we need, IMNSHO, is a pair of pages like
Special:Recentchanges and Special:Newpages, but that only show the ones
done by anon IP people. I'd find that mighty handy for keeping the patent
nonsense under control.

--
John R. Owens http://www.ghiapet.homeip.net/
It's easy to find something worth dying for.  Do you have anything worth