[WikiEN-l] Where to turn for a trivial page deletion?

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Apr 1 21:52:54 UTC 2003

Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

>I'd like to delete [[Epistle to the Hebrews]] because the
>move command won't let me move the ungrammatically named
>[[Epistle to Hebrews]] to [[Epistle to the Hebrews]], due
>to a non-empty page history that has a bunch of automatic
>script conversions.

Done.
But Fred is right, you should probably be an admin.
Such a deletion doesn't need to go on the votes page,
since there was no history being deleted besides redirects --
yet technically it still required an admin to do it.

Perhaps there is a technical solution;
if a page has no history except redirects,
then should people be able to move to it
just like any other move?

>In the past, I simply copied the text from one page to the
>other and set up the appropriate redirect, but a sysop got
>on my case for it as a non-optimal operation.  So now, I
>put a request on Votes for Deletion, but no sysop has acted
>on the request yet.

Well, you should ask the sysop that got on your case. ^_^

>So, am I asking for the trivial page deletion in the right
>place?  Or, should I just ignore a sysop jumping on my case,
>because waiting days for an edit to happen is counter to the
>wiki editing philosophy?

Possibly you should ignore it after a while,
since histories can be combined later anyway.
Or you can ask just me, since I'm nice in this way,
but then you may still wait a while if I'm busy.

-- Toby