[WikiEN-l] Administrative Request: (was: ????????8?????7.5?)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Dec 5 14:22:11 UTC 2002

Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Did anybody else receive an HTML advertising page with lots of
>Chinese writing, images and a Macromedia Flash thing?

Yes.

> I don't think it came from a signed-up contributor -- or even an
>anonymous Wikipedian. Rather, it seems an abuse of the e-mail list.

The list is set -- or should be -- to accept posts only from addresses
that are subscribed.  Perhaps you could recheck that.

> Alternatives:
> * Do nothing (it may have been a fluke)
> * Ban myisking01 at sina.com (the address that sent the advertisement)
> * Other (please specify)

I would either do nothing (because I'm lazy) or ban that address.

There's a chance, I suppose, that this person was a serious Chinese
person trying to talk to us.  Or it might have just been Chinese spam,
which I get some of every day of the week.

--Jimbo