[Wikipedia-l] larousse.wikipedia.org?

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 17:19:33 UTC 2003

--- Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.org> wrote:

> Alex R. wrote:
> |
> | wasn't Larousse the man the founder of Larousse
> the company? This is
> | the whole point of a trademark, you can't call
> Spanish sparkling wine
> | champagne as champagne is a trademark identified
> with the production
> | of sparking wine in a particular French region.
> |
> | Alex756
>
> On the other hand, sparkling wine from California
> ''is'' called
> champagne. Trademarks, especially in the
> international arena, are seldom
> absolute.

In any case, that was real nice to give a "french"
name to the server and we appreciated the choice.

This said, trademark or no trademark, the french
Champagne is best.

Initially, the Champagne region was a very poor
region, very very low yields due to soils not really
fit for agriculture. It was refered (or rr ?) to as
"Champagne pouilleuse" ("poux" are lices).

Later, with progress in agricultural techniques, soils
were improved. It is now one of the richest regions in
terms of agriculture. We grow there wine (for
Champagne in particular), potatoes (1000 euros of
margin for an hectare) and beets.

Single women ! marry Champagne farmers. Thanks to
potatoes, beets and all the money from great Champagne
exports, they are *rich* guys.