[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia mascot

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Feb 21 05:08:00 UTC 2003

If there's consensus that we want a mascot, I suggest putting a call for
suggestions on all the mainpages, with a link to an English page on Meta.
That might seem like overkill, but I really think we should use the wiki
process here. There are many species -- prehistoric animals, insects,
animals living only in a single, small world region -- which are largely
unknown, yet unbelievably photogenic. I also think that any mascot we
choose should reflect the fact that we are a cooperative, social project,
in other words, it should be a social animal or insect. Dolphins, whales,
ants, bees etc. all work nicely. Of course, we could also choose a monkey
sitting behind a typewriter ;-)

With a cooperative process, who knows what we might come up with.

This is also, like the logo, a case where we eventually need to set up a
vote, period.

Regards,

Erik