[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 20:08:39 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 06:59 am, Vicki  wrote:
> I wonder if "Huiquipedia" would be more familiar and comfortable to native
> speakers of Spanish.

I'm not a native Spanish speaker, but I think you are on the right track.

Now that Wikipedia is at .org instead of .com, at least one vocal EL
contributor doesn't like the fact that the English Wikipedia is at
www.wikipedia.org and the other languages are at xx.wikipedia.org/.com. This
person seems to take this URL organization literally and thinks this means
that the non-English wikipedias are somehow subservient to the English one.
Which is reading /way/ too much in a simple URL.

I'm already on record stating that each wikipedia language community should
eventually be at their own domain which is their language's transliteration
of the word "Wikipedia".

But if this issue turns out to be an intractable one, I vote for moving the
English Wikipedia to en.wikipedia.org -- such a trivial thing is not worth
arguing much about. Then all www.wikipedia.org would be is just a gateway to
the various projects (I still think this is a waste of a URL but I am willing
to acquiesce).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)