[Wikipedia-l] what people I know have to say about anglicization

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Tue Nov 26 01:34:39 UTC 2002

>We the peoples of the formerly well-known nations of Shqiperi,
>Al-Jaza-ir, Hayastan, Druk-yul, Zhongguo, Hrvatska, Kalaalit Nunaat,
>Misr, Eesti, Viti, Ellas, al'Urdan, Choson Minjujuui In'min
>Konghwaguk, Taehan-Min'guk, Dhivehi Jumhuriya, Pyidaungsu Myanma
>Naingngandaw, and Aotearoa would prefer not to get lost, actually, so
>no thanks.
>
>You'd never get all our little marks right in your barbaric typefaces,
>so we're happy being known to you as Albania, Algeria, Armenia,
>Bhutan, China, Croatia, Greenland, Egypt, Estonia, Fiji, Greece,
>Jordan, North Korea, South Korea, the Maldives, Myanmar, and New
>Zealand.

No non-racist, non-imperialist person would ever refer to the city I
live in by anything other than its native name of "Yangma" -- or, if you
absolutely must, the English translation of that name: "The Valley of
the Smokes."

Of course, many people insist on using, not just the absurd name the
conquistadores gave it, but a barbarous truncation thereof.  This
linguistic genocide must stop!

(This message is closed-smilied for the humor impared.)

--
 Sean Barrett
 sean at epoptic.com