[Wikipedia-l] Pronunciation guides (Was Re: Oliver is Lir II [...])

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Mon Nov 25 23:06:12 UTC 2002

|What I really oppose is having English as the foundation for a modern
|Tower of Babel.

Hilsen, Gruess, Hola, and Hi,

I think you have it backwards.  English is a lingua franca.

First, everybody spoke Latin, then they spoke French, now they speak
English.

Until the next one comes along, English it is.  That said, we can
still do a lot to accommodate and show respect for all the other
languages.  And we can also push the Wikipedia in every language that
has an interest in having a Wikipedia.

That nearly multilingual guy,
Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88