[Wikipedia-l] Pronunciation guides (Was Re: Oliver is Lir II [...])

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 25 19:34:27 UTC 2002

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>I think the problem is that Lir is young and has more energy to
>question authority, than patience to listen before he speaks.  This
>makes it hard for him to engage in a dialogue.  He questions his
>peers, with whom he should cooperate, instead of knowing his enemies
>and where he should direct his energy.  Been there, done that, got the
>T-shirt.  I think his homepage indicated he was 21.  I'm 36.  I have
>no idea how old or young or energetic or lazy everybody else is.  I'm
>lazy enough, not to bother very much in all the detail.

The issue of using diacritical marks is not about Lir.  Lir may have
been the one to raise the matter, but that does not alter the objective
question of diacriticals.  At 59 I'm much lazier than a 36-year old kid.
 I know that people with a poor credibility occasionally make worth
while contributions, and that highly respected people are not immune
from stupidity.

If anything, the debate so far has shown that we are far from unanimous
in our opinions about how non-English names should be treated.  A rule
that "the English Wikipedia is in English" seems trivial at first
glance.  It works well as long as we stick to common nouns and concepts
of English language origin.  There's a whole non-English speaking world
out there with many interesting ideas that are worth incorporating into
Wikipedia.  A dictionary is about words; an encyclopedia is about ideas,
and, in the absence of direct neural interfaces, an encyclopedia needs
the words to communicate its ideas.  The diacritics of another language
enhance communication, and often are the distinguishing feature between
dissimilar words.  The poetics of another language can suffer badly in
translation, yet such a small concession as allowing foreign words to be
fully accented is worth doing if it enhances the understanding of the
other culture.  Yes, I know that Spanish considers "n" and "ñ" to be
separate letters which follow each other in alphabetical order, and that
Swedish considers "a" and "å" to be separate letters with the latter put
in a group of special letters at the end of the alphabet.  I would never
propose that we adopt the hodge-podge of aphabetical orders from other
languages.  Algorithms can be established to link these letters to their
unaccented counterparts.  The French certainly have no trouble treating
"e", "è", "é" and "ê" as the same letter for alphabetical purposes, and
that's just fine for English.  It also allows for users who just don't
know what the correct accent is in a given circumstance including native
speakers.  What I really oppose is having English as the foundation for
a modern Tower of Babel.

>But I know
>that after Lir we will still have the same problem with the next of
>the same kind. So what is our conclusion, and what tools will we have
>prepared for the next time this happens?

Indeed we will!  I very strongly agree that we should have objective
procedures for dealing with these.  Those procedures should help us not
only to deal with "guilty" parties, but also safeguard users from being
overwhelmed by the mob instinct..

Eclecticology