[Wikipedia-l] vandalism spree

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Nov 25 17:46:42 UTC 2002

Anthere to Toby:

> >however, wouldn't it be a good idea to have sysops be
> >sysops for all languages?
> >If this were the case I would pop into several
> >different languages periodically to check for obvious
> >vandalism.
> >En.wiki has sysops watching it 20-24 hours a day so
> >if en.wiki sysops popped in to check various other
> >languages periodically (esp. during the no, or slow
> >edit times you talk about) then that should provide
> >better coverage against the most blatant >goat sex
> >type vandalism and vandal bots.
>
> That's a tough point really.
> Theoretically, it sounds natural that somebody trusted
> for one wiki should be trusted on another (though, to
> be honest...I am not convinced myself).
> Practically, that's could be a problem unfortunately.
> The english wiki process while deciding who should be
> a sysop or not is done through peer review (general
> behavior, respect to the community standards...). But,
> communities don't have the same standards, and what is
> ok on one could be hardly tolerable on another. And
> the tobe-sysop being not known, how would it be ok to
> accept somebody you don't know (say would you blindly
> accept Shaihulud as a sysop ?), while you reject
> somebody you know, just on the behalf he is refusing
> to change his name ?
>
> I know you Mav, so I would say "yes, please, come and
> help us", and I thank you very much for your
> proposition. But why would other french agree for
> somebody they don't know to have more admin "power"
> than they have ?
>
> Btw, didnot tmc changed his name as the community was
> 'kindly' asking him ?

I don't think I should be a sysop on a wiki whose language I can't read and write well (e.g., Français). I have caused enough trouble on Wiki-EN speaking my native language (English) with French speakers. Imagine how many people I could offend if I went global: Où est la plume de ma tante? Quelle dommage! Vive La France! Cherchez la femme! L'état, c'est moi!

About le coq... TMC refused to change his name. He said he would leave Wiki-EN if we changed it. Jimbo insisted that TMC's old name was "vandalism" and asked the developers to change it. A few days later, Brion changed it. Since then, I haven't heard anything from TMC.

Ed Poor, aka [[user:Edmond Le Pauvre]]