The v-word (was: [Wikipedia-l] User pages)

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Nov 25 16:18:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:15:26PM +0100, Erik Moeller wrote:
>"Lir, I'm going to sit on you till you cry uncle"
>"No. Bad Lir. No more senseless linking!"
>"Still sitting on Lir; she isn't showing that she's interesting in
>developing good taste in editing"
>"We want good taste, or we'll spit you out."
>"adding link to important article on Good Taste"
>"Don't try to wriggle out of it Lir; a contributor of your stature needs to
>develope some TASTE"
>"Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. If you don't take other peoples feelings
>seriously Lir, why should we take your work seriously?"
>"Give me some evidence you know what good taste is Lir. C'mon, I challenge
>you"
>"not even close. try again, Lir baby"
>"(your fate is being decided; if you don't take your fate seriously, it will
>certainly take YOU very seriously"
>again: "putting in link to article on Good Taste"

You are quoting Clutches edit comments out of context; ignoring the edits that
Lir made that triggered them.  Lir was determined to show that he didn't
give a damn about community standards, or trying to build quality
articles.  That is why Lir is banned.

As for the comment about Lir's fate being decided, that comment was made
because just then Jimbos had sent out a mail to the mailing list saying
he was going to ban Lir.  Yet Lir's behavior that was causing Clutch to
edit his page didn't cease; he continued it.  He didn't believe anything
could happen to him because "this is anarchy, and that means anything
goes".

>This is when other Wikipedians started reverting your changes. Lir
>repeatedly *removed* your link to the good taste article and only left it in because
>you kept vandalizing her page and threatened to continue to do so. And yes,

That is your perception.  It is wrong.  He thought he saw a humorous way
to incorporate it into his webpage, and he did so.  Lirs humor is often
inappropriate and designed to enrage people, but it is pretty funny.  As
long as you persist in thinking of Lir as a poor, defenseless little
girl who didn't have any idea what she was doing, you aren't going to
understand Lir.

>You're falling back into your old trolling behavior, Jon. The sad thing is
>that you got away with it for too long, because nobody likes to stick up for
>Lir.

You never knew my old trolling behavior.  The Wikipedia is something I
care about.  Your defense of Lir's edits makes me wonder how much you
care about it.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2