The v-word (was: [Wikipedia-l] User pages)

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Mon Nov 25 16:39:13 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> I would really like everyone to stop throwing around the word
> "vandalism" except in the narrowly-described cases of:
> * scribbling graffiti, like "Hi, I'm a newbie"
> * deleting a page without explanation
> * obvious obscenity

I totally agree with this.  But I also think it's important that we keep
this word, as it is indispensible precisely for those cases.  No one
should ever be accused of misusing the word "vandalism" when quite
properly labelling pictures of goatse, for example, and why they're
removed.

Larry
--
"We have now sunk to a depth at which the re-statement of the obvious is
the first duty of intelligent men." --George Orwell