[Wikipedia-l] a way to contact IP users

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Nov 25 14:52:44 UTC 2002

> How about giving admins the ability to throw up a "Please read this"
> message.
>
> Something like this:
> * User submits an edit
> * Wikipedia accepts the edit, and...
> * Sends user to a "You have an urgent administrative message" page.
>
> User can then:
> * Click on the "Read message" button, or
> * Just ignore it

A good idea, but it would need to have at least a message queue to handle
multiple messages, so you arrive at an internal messaging system.
Unfortunately, this would have to be a bit of a hack, as IPs expire rather quickly. With
cookies it could be done more reliably but not in all cases. Anyway, I think
there's little opposition to more advanced messaging/ban/revert features, they
just haven't been coded so far.

Regards,

Erik