[Wikipedia-l] a way to contact IP users

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Nov 25 11:42:57 UTC 2002

(this is a general feature suggestion, BTW, though it's a case on En
that's reminded me of it)

Someone on En: is adding pages on actors with just dates of birth. it's
not vandalism, but admins have deleted many of these, because they're
such tiny stubs they're basically worthless.
it's not the first time that we get users who make many well-meaning
edits, but make mistakes that leave us a lot to clean up.

This reminds me of something I suggested ages ago -- we need a way to
contact unregistered users to politely point of where they're putting a
foot wrong.
My suggestion was this:
* on the IP contributions page, add a "alert this user" dialog box, or a
link to one
* that user will then see the message text above above every edit box

This could save us a lot of cleaning up work. I also worry that these
people may get discouraged and leave when they find we've deleted their
additions -- we may be losing potentially valuable contributors.