[Wikipedia-l] User pages

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 02:22:36 UTC 2002

Hello again,

I gather that it the general agreement is that the User pages are for the
users' own use, and that it is bad manners for other Wikipedians to edit
them. Would it be sensible to formalise this as a definitive rule - in
fact, to make the page protected from edits by anyone but the user and the
sysops? Anyone who wishes to address the user would still be able to on
the associated Talk page, of course.

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement technically, but I
think it would be a good move to prevent people from vandalising other
people's User pages, as some are doing.

As for my presence on the Wikipedia, my User contributions go back to 8th
November 2002. (I made some anonymous edits earlier than that - back to
4th November 2002, the day on which I discovered the Wikipedia.) If you're
only seeing a partial list, you're probably only looking at the last
fifty, or those in the last few days, or something.

And I repeat, if anyone has any problems with my behaviour, please tell me
on my Talk page, or in a private e-mail.

Thanks,

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |