[Wikipedia-l] Indoctrinating (was Educating) newcomers

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 21 08:14:10 UTC 2002

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>Erik,
>
>The reason the debate is not over, is that we old-timers have a responsibility to educate newcomers.
>
>I have "adopted" Lir as a mentee, because I believe she really wants to contribute. Please join me in gently (or firmly) coaching her about Wikipedia standards such as naming convention, NPOV, etc.

There's no need to be so damned paternalistic!  You make it sound as
though the only thing you need to do is to insure that Lir does
everything "our" way, and that newcomers should not be re-opening
debates because we settled that a year ago before these newcomers came
aboard.  I fully expect that some of these debates will repeat
themselves, and will go on for years before there is a consensus.  This
will be especially true for naming conventions.  There is a broad
appreciation that NPOV is a good thing, but there is great diversity in
just what that term means.

If Lir or any newcomer comes along and questions one of our conventions,
that opinion deserves respect just as much as the opinions of
long-standing contributors.

Eclecticology