[Wikipedia-l] stupid anglicization

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Nov 21 09:08:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:56:06AM -0800, Bridget [name omitted for privacy reasons] wrote:
>   Yes, I agree there should be some agreement about what is done on
>   wikipedia. This is why I, and others, keep advocating that wikipedia start
>   becoming a democracy and voting on stuff. Atm, wikipedia is pretty

Democracy and voting suck.  Anarchist direct action is where it's at,
baby.  If you still want to vote, vote with your feet.

There is an English alphabet for the English language, and it does NOT
include diacritical remarks.  Wikipedia is a multilingual project; stop
trying to make the English part of it be an amalgam of every language
under the sun.

When a foreign word gets adopted into the English language, all English
speakers get to say how it is used, and so far those who insist on using
diacritics are a vast minority.

Why are you trying to destroy the Wikipedia?

I think Groliers Encyclopedia is paying you minimum wage to sabotage our
effort here.  You have no idea of the sorts of things that normally go
into an Encyclopedia, and the things that don't.  By your own admission
you see the Wikipedia as "an information dump" with no more value than
the same information scattered all over the web.

Why are you here Lir?  Because you saw a nice community here, and you
wish to prove you can be a member here after your initial rejection?  I
wish your motive instead was to build the greatest Encyclopedia in the
world, and that the community aspect came after.  The Encyclopedia
doesn't exist to support the community; the community exists to support
the Encyclopedia.

>   Sadly, one of wikipedias basic premises amounts to, "And we should always
>   strive for a anglo-americanized naming schema because this is america and
>   if you want foreign names then maybe you should leave the country cuz this
>   is america and this is the american wikipedia and we are gonna use
>   american names here and thats the end of the discussion"

The Wikipedia is no place to push a political platform.  You claim to be
from Iowa; speaking ill of your country, in the way that you do, is
treason.  Criticize the government; criticize trends and tendencies;
but cease to lump all your compatriats together in your negative rantings.

I am Canadian.  I wish to see proper ENGLISH spellings of things used.
It is disengenous and intellectually dishonest of you to label such
wishes as "pro-Americanizing" when the vast majority of the English
speaking world shares them.  But this shows your own American bias; you
think all the English speaking world is in the USA.  Get over it.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2