[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #883 - 11 msgs

mjeaya069 mjeaya069 at rogers.com
Thu Nov 21 00:01:42 UTC 2002

> I use the word "favour" carefully since a one rule fits all policy will
> never work.  Nobody has ever used the English title for "La Dolce Vita"
> while the movie "Wo hu cang long" is only known by its English name.
>
> Eclecticology

i would like to note that IMDB, the premier movie database site that i'm
sure almost everyone is familiar with, uses "Wo hu cang long" to identify
what most people know as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

despite that, i feel that we should use the common English names. it's a
matter of common sense to use the terms from everyday English usage. it
opens up far too many silly issues of transliterations and accented
characters, as well as not being clear to the vast majority of people. as
others have said, using regular names facilitates "accidental" linkages to
the name from other articles.

this being said, it is not like names never change (i.e. Peking -> Beijing),
and when they change in common usage, we should change too.

frankly, there has been far too much discussion of this issue.

back to regularly scheduled lurking

Mark (User:Dze27)