[Wikipedia-l] anglicization is stupid

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 20 20:57:35 UTC 2002

Oliver Pereira wrote:

>For the purposes
>of this discussion, let's look at one fairly straightforward example:
>Confucius. *Everyone* agrees that he was never called that in his
>lifteime, and yet that is the version used in the Wikipedia, because it is
>the name most commonly used by English-speaking people.

Confucius is not a good example for this debate.  This name has in fact
become very well established in English usage whether I like it or not.
 It is very much an exception among Chinese names.  The derivitive
adjective, "confucian", has also become part of English usage.  Although
I strongly support original language titles, an exception here is warranted.

Eclecticology