[Wikipedia-l] anglicization is stupid

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 20:23:45 UTC 2002

We've had this discussion concerning foreign language movies.  Some movies are known in English only in their English name -- "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", for one.  But others are known in both languages -- "Life is Beautiful" vs. "La vita e bella", for example.  And then there's "La Dolce Vita", which is known only in its native language (most commonly).  We need to call these articles by the name that most English speakers expect to find.
Zoe
 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:Brion Vibber wrote:

I use the word "favour" carefully since a one rule fits all policy will
never work. Nobody has ever used the English title for "La Dolce Vita"
while the movie "Wo hu cang long" is only known by its English name.

Eclecticology