[Wikipedia-l] Re: vandalism spree

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 20:13:19 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 11:22 am, Anthere wrote:
> I like the idea of automatic detection. I'd like it to
> be coupled with a system of automatic reaction (not
> banning, rather slowing down save for example).
> But, mostly, it should have an ACTIVE system of
> COMMUNITY warning. Maybe, different levels of warning.
> Maybe automatic emails to a list or to a board. Maybe
> an automatic signal to bilingual people. Something.
>
> Peace

Seems like a good set of ideas to me. Under a multilanguage Phase IV, however,
wouldn't it be a good idea to have sysops be sysops for all languages? If
this were the case I would pop into several different languages periodically
to check for obvious vandalism.

En.wiki has sysops watching it 20-24 hours a day so if en.wiki sysops popped
in to check various other languages periodically (esp. during the no, or slow
edit times you talk about) then that should provide better coverage against
the most blatant goat sex type vandalism and vandal bots.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)